Skip to main content

Paths of Prayer



Today, I'm joining up with Five Minute Friday, a fun writing opportunity to connect and share a quick thought on this week's theme "Path".

For many years, when coming across a Scripture about 'paths', it turned into a prayer and desire to be led down God's open paths. Through the years of life which included, marriage, keeping a home, job, raising children and as they began to explore their own paths, seeking God and His paths became a vital part of life and prayer. 

As God's Word reveals God's goodness and His ways, I want to be walking - living a lifestyle on the paths that He leads. 

Some of my favorite 'path' verses include:

Proverbs 4:18 "But the path of the just is like the shining sun, That shines ever brighter unto the perfect day."  

Psalm 25:4,  "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths,"

 Proverbs 3:5-6: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." 

Psalm 119:105: "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."

In all honesty, for years I would pray many of these verses and hope God would automatically open up the right path for me. That instantly, I would know what to do, what decision to make, simply walk through open doors and bright paths. 

But look at the action words in some of these verses - Teach, Trust, Acknowledge - these put some action on my part. While God is certainly able to open up every door and reveal paths, there is a beauty and growth found in trusting the process. Sometimes discernment and wisdom take time and effort. Deeply analyzing options, consequences and benefits. Even a trip down a wrong path can quickly remind us of His grace and mercy and put our feet back on solid ground. Rarely does something good come without some effort. 

May we practice the art of looking at paths with a heart open to God and His Word, then listen and follow Him. He will never lead us astray. 

Proverbs 4:26 Ponder the path of your feet, And let all your ways be established.


Comments

  1. I learned the most from my mistakes,
    the stupid prideful paths I chose,
    and learning found the lucky breaks
    were something like a blooming rose
    set within its thorny guard,
    beauty to both sight and smell,
    but trying to get close, too hard,
    would prick me and just make me yell
    while the glory smiled at me,
    a lesson taught, a lesson learned,
    and I'd (sucking bleeding finger) see
    that wisdom is not bought, but earned
    along the errors of the way,
    step by step and day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reflections are so good! I want to look at paths with an open heart to God. I want to hear Him say, "This is the way. Walk in it." And I want to obey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your commment. It is a joy and blessing to hear from you and your words are appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We...

Word-Filled Wednesday

I love participating in Word Filled Wednesday . This is hosted over at 160 acrewoods and is designed to share God's Word with verse and picture. Go over and take a peek - you will be blessed! The verse I chose for today is one of my favorite verses. A while back during an intense trial of watching a loved one struggle with addiction - ready to lose everything over the addiction, I read this verse and it spoke to my heart clearly. Without God - there is no hope, the things of this world will leave you empty and void. Chasing after the things of the world is like chasing the wind, you just can't grasp it. But in God there is hope. Even though the trial may be tough and challenging, God is hope and He will fill you with peace and joy as you believe in Him and you will abound in hope. May your day be blessed and filled with HOPE!