Today is July 4th where we reflect on our freedom and blessings of living in the United States. We truly are a blessed people. Prayers for our country are needed daily, for our leaders, world situations and one another.
Like many, today was a holiday for us and we are enjoying staying home today. Many times it takes a day or two at home to get the house in order. I ran across an article from Get Organized Now on ways to have a more productive day. I saved it for those times when we running every which way and need some direction. Here are a few tips from the article:
1. Wake Up Early: Setting the alarm 15 minutes early gets an earlier start on the day. Get up as soon as the alarm sounds:
2. Plan your outfits the night before: Lay the clothes out you plan to wear the next day. It will save the "what am I going to wear" dilemma.
3. Never run just one errand: Try to combine at least two or three errands in one trip. Start with the errand furthest away and then work your way back.
4. Make and use written lists: I live by this one! Don't try to remember everything you have to do or get, write it down!
5. Clean and organize as you go: This is a huge help for me. While you are cooking, keep dishwater close by and wash as you go. Make your bed as soon as you get up. Completely finish each job, don't save things for later. Go through mail quickly instead of piling it etc.
6. Reward yourself: There is nothing more draining than going through an entire day without doing anything fun. Sandwich small rewards between each task. For instance, when you're done with the ironing, read your favorite novel for 15 minutes. When you're done cleaning the bathroom, sit in front of the fireplace while you relax and sip a cup of tea.
Every step toward organization helps our homes and lives to run more smoothly!