I recently ran across some great tips for a healthier lifestyle. So many times we want to change how we eat and live and be healthier, but don't want to give up "all the good stuff". Here are some easy tips to get moving in the right direction:
1. Clean out your kitchen cabinets: Get rid of all the unhealthy snacks - brutal, I know, but if they are staring at you, you will eat them!
2. Do most of your grocery shopping around the perimeter of the store. This is where the fresh fruits and fresher foods are. Try to avoid as many packaged items as possible and use fresh ingredients.
3. Buy fresh fruit and vegetables and when you get home, cut them up into serving sizes. It will be easier to grab a healthy snack or use fresh vegetables for meal preparation if they are already prepared.
4. Strive to eat smaller meals, more times through the day. Eating every three hours - light meals and snacks, helps keep the metabolism up and energy going through the day.
5. Don't fall into the trap of eating sweets every time they are offered at parties, buffets, etc. Try one time turning down dessert and celebrate the self-control you exhibited!
6. Drink a lot of water through out the day. If you are not a water drinker, begin by drinking water with meals, add lemon or lime for a flavor boost. Water keeps the body flushed of toxins and hydrated. Aim for six to eight glasses a day.
7. Make careful decisions when snacking. Having available healthy snacks makes wise choices easier. Snack on fresh fruit/vegetables, cheese sticks, wheat thins, rice cakes etc. These are better choices than snack cakes, cookies etc.
8. Get ready and walk! Walking is an excellent way to lose weight, tone muscles and build endurance. Keep walking shoes handy. A ten minute walk is better than no walk and you will love how energized you will feel.
9. Strive for at least 8 hours of sleep each night.
10. Healthy living begins with an attitude of determination. One choice at a time, one step at a time is the best way to incorporate healthy habits into your life.