Skip to main content

Making Your Home Sing...Freedom To Soar

Making your home sing Mondays



"Making Your Home Sing" is a collection of ideas, attitudes, actions or motivation to inspire and learn from others ways to make the home run efficiently with a dash of love, creativity and fun.

Being the mom many times means lots of control over many things in the home. That is ok, it takes someone in charge to manage the home so that it runs smoothly. I rather enjoy having this area under my control and enjoy keeping my bunch organized and scheduled. I like control over the meals, shopping, activities and responsibilities of the home. And since I have been doing it for so long, it has become almost automatic. Meaning...I can easily turn into a control freak!!!

As a parent, one of the goals is to train the dependent child to become an independent, responsible, self-supporting, good decision making adult. This does not occur by doing all of their planning and making their decisions for them! They must learn through trial and error what works and what doesn't work.

My area this week to "Make My Home Sing", is to give more freedom! Not a let loose and whatever goes type, but freedom to make choices that I have usually made for them. Tonight, my boys have the opportunity to plan a family night. They picked the menu for dinner and the activity - a movie, no doubt an action or adventure type! They are responsible for renting the movie - of course with family friendly ratings!

Along with working on relaxing my control grip, I am working on aiming higher in my expectations. This does not mean setting unrealistic goals before my family, but encouraging them to be all that they can be. If I set my sights on a higher level for them and encourage them on that path, they can reach that goal and succeed. If I keep my sights low and expect a minimal amount, that is also what I will get. Vision and purpose are so important. Encouragement and freedom to soar can bring dreams into reality.

Remember above all, with God's power working in our lives, homes and family, He can do more through us than we can ever imagine: Ephesians 3:20 "Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us..."

May God's blessing rest on your home this week and may you "make your home sing"!


Comments

  1. What a lovely post! You are a woman after my own heart. I so get the whole "control freak" thing.

    As they get older, there are times, I am sure, when they wish we would make the decisions for them. But at least we are there for them to consult if they want.

    My youngest had the hardest time deciding things when he was little. He just couldn't commit and kept changing his mind, and this was over little stuff like "do you want to go to the store with me" and stuff like that.

    You are so right in that God desires to be a part of everything and that we have Him to help lead and guide us!

    Thank you for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Wow, I love the idea of letting plan the meal & the movie!!!

    My kids really like it when I show them that I trust them to be responsible in certain areas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your commment. It is a joy and blessing to hear from you and your words are appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.