Skip to main content

At the Well - Living In An Evil World

Gathering At the Well


Do you find yourself taking part in godless living and sinful pleasures?

How is that for a deep discussion topic for today's At the Well? If so....What steps are you going to take to gain strength in wisdom, righteousness and devotion to God?

I personally enjoy more sharing about purity, self control, virtue and godliness and good things, but I also understand that each person is a sinner and Christians are simply sinners who have accepted God's forgiveness. As Christians we are living in an evil world. The world beckons for us to indulge in sinful pleasures and then offers excuses (if we were to feel guilty) such as "everyone does it", "you deserve some fun", "is this really wrong?" etc. Many Christians are tempted daily and at times fall into this temptation to do things not pleasing to the Lord.

When I was raised as a child, there was not much supervision to what I saw or watched on television. Some of my earliest memories were watching soap operas all day with my mom. I grew up with and for years felt like I knew these people personally! The older I got I was allowed to watch the nighttime dramas and listen to music that contained ungodly lyrics.

I became a Christian at age 20, but still watched the nighttime dramas with no conviction that they were wrong. My favorite show was Knots Landing. I faithfully waited each Thursday night for it to come on. I'll never forget the night I was waiting for it to come on and the advertisement came on right ahead of it and said something to the effect, "Are you ready for more deception, lying and sensual plots?, stay tuned, it's coming right up in Knots Landing." Right then the Holy Spirit whispered to my heart, "Is this what a Christian looks forward to?" I shut the television off and did some heart searching. No, a Christan should not be eagerly looking forward to a sinful show.

Twenty years later, I don't have a desire for those shows anymore. But there are a million new ways of temptation through tv, radio, Internet etc. The dangers are graver and the need for purity and self control is greater than ever.

God's Word gives direction and guidance for our lives. Some of my favorite verses include:

Ponder the path of your feet, And let all your ways be established. Proverbs 4:26 This reminds me to stay focused on where I am going and be alert to snares and dangers.

I will set nothing wicked before my eyes;I hate the work of those who fall away; It shall not cling to me. Psalms 101:3 We need to identify and develop a godly hatred for evil.

Depart from evil and do good;Seek peace and pursue it. Psalms 34:14

There are also numerous verses to meditate on to seek and establish purity in our hearts:

let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Hebrews 10:22

Create in me a clean heart, O God,And renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. James 4:8

There are numerous evils in our world today and opportunities to indulge in sinful pleasures. But our world is also looking for genuine Christians. Christians who when faced with temptations can stand and say "NO" to evil and "YES" to purity and holiness. Being tempted is not failure, it is giving in to the temptations that causes failure. Temptation is something we will always deal with, but we do have control over what we do with that temptation - give in to it or avoid it.

May we always rest in God's unfailing strength and wisdom and make the right choices day by day. Remember the old saying “Sow a thought, and you reap an act. Sow an act, and you reap a habit. Sow a habit, and you reap a character. Sow a character, and you reap a destiny.” May our sowing be of good things: Hosea 10:12 Sow for yourselves righteousness; Reap in mercy; Break up your fallow ground, For it is time to seek the LORD, Till He comes and rains righteousness on you.

Then keep in mind God's instruction: Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.