Skip to main content

Completing Him - Following His Vision

Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he. Proverbs 29:18


The Completing Him Challenge is moving right along!  We've shared over the summer about our beginnings, the importance of wedding vows, prayer, priorities, admiration and food! Today the challenge is "Following His Vision".  The challenge this week is to:
  • Support his vision. 
  • Discuss his vision for your family. 
  • Where does he see your family in 1 year, 5 years, and 10 years. 
  • Share with us how you let your husband lead.
 Vision is one of those words that kind of scare me!  I'm more comfortable doing things in the moment.  Planning ahead some is ok, but setting goals and having a vision tend to make me nervous.  Perhaps it is the uncertainty of them, what if I fail in my goal, what if I make the wrong choice, and I can't see in the future and can't be in control of what will happen.

But it has been said that "If you aim for nothing, you will reach it every time."  Goals and visions give something higher to reach for.  They provide opportunities to strengthen our faith, to trust deeper in the Lord and to follow His plan for our lives.  

As only God can do, he allowed me to be married to a man with purpose, vision and the ability to look ahead and make preparations for the future.  In our earlier years, I would be planning nursery decorations, while he was planning to set up college funds.  While I was taking our young children to the park and filled our days with fun, he was setting up saving accounts for their future.  With his planning and vision, our boys are blessed with the benefits of a good start into their adult lives. 

Some of our goals for our children is for them to be responsible, ethical and able to lead their families with godliness, character and integrity one day.  This takes training... a lot of training!  As a mother, my "training" consists of what I know as a woman - nurturing, cuddling, meeting their needs and sheltering them from harm.  But, as my husband reminds me "we are not raising girls, but men!"  That reminder helps me to focus and to  follow his leadership as the man of the house and head of our family.  In their daily lives, the boys would meet training challenges and opportunities to grow and try new adventures such as mowing the grass on their own, driving their own vehicles, changing their oil, weed eating, chopping wood.  These and other things that would cause me to worry about their safety, but my husband would reassure me they would be ok, and they would come out stronger and more equipped to handle these tasks on their own.  To grow into men, they must practice "men stuff", which I am surely not qualified to teach!  What a blessing to defer the training for their future into the capable hands of my vision minded husband.  What an injustice it would be to send them out into the world unprepared because of my own fears. 

Vision, planning and preparation are vital aspects of a marriage.  Communication for them are needed.  In a marriage we each bring in a set of expectations, hopes,dreams, gifts and abilities.  Something beautiful comes to life when these are combined with seeking the Lord for His direction and following His path for our marriage and family.  Blessings are abundant and a beautiful legacy can be formed for generations to come.

Comments

  1. You're blessed to be married to a man with vision! It's obvious that his planning has served your marriage very well.

    My DH approaches life with more spontaneity like you... a marvellous skill for dealing with life's crises. God has made us all very different, hasn't he? ღ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your commment. It is a joy and blessing to hear from you and your words are appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.