The daily Bible reading/devotion system I am currently using is a weekday (Monday through Friday) collection of Scripture readings. So, for the weekend I read from the Bible in various places. Proverbs is one of my favorite books to glean from and one of the things that draws me to it is how richly it speaks of wisdom. I'm drawn to seek wisdom because I need it so badly (!), and it is one of the characteristics I want to see continually grow in my sons. Proverbs also speaks much about sons (or children) and offers practical ways to teach and pray for wisdom for our children.
Here are a few highlights and prayers for children from Proverbs 1:
- That they may know wisdom and instruction and perceive the words of understanding.
- That they would receive from God's Word, knowledge and discretion.
- That they will hear and increase learning, be men of understanding and always attain wise counsel.
- That they will always hear and keep the instruction of their parents and receive the blessings of grace and guidance they give.
- That they will never consent to or follow the enticement of sin and those influenced by it.
- That they will dwell safely, be secure and without fear of evil.
Proverbs 1:7 "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge..." It all begins with a reverence and awareness that God is the Author and Giver of all. May they always acknowledge Him with due reverence.