Home, Home, Home!! The place we can let go, relax and just be ourselves. I love my home and enjoy just being here. Last week my heart was cut, stirred and then encouraged by one of my teenager's remarks. It was his night off work and he was lining up to go somewhere. I needed him to stay home for about an hour before he went. He moaned and groaned and finally said "It's my only night off, I don't want to spend it sitting around the house." OUCH that hurt! My first thought was to pray for the Lord to change HIS heart and that he will want to be home. But don't you just love it when God does answer the prayer, but changes YOUR heart?
Since our family includes 2 teenagers, I know it that we are on the brink of major household changes. They will be leaving our home soon as they begin the journey as adults. No matter how much I long for them to be near me, it is the divine plan for "man to leave his mother and father and cleave to his own wife" one day. It has been said that the only thing sadder than having a child leave home in their proper time, is to have one that will not leave. As they get closer to adulthood, the freedom to begin moving about on their own is natural. Making some of their own choices is a step towards Independence. So, my prayer changed, not to "make" him stay home more, but to put a special place in his heart for our home.
This also inspired me to evaluate and work on my home atmosphere. Why do we want to be home? A joyous home is filled with good things. Things like:
- Fun Times
It may take some effort to overcome some qualities that seem to want to stay around such as:
- Critical Words
- Smiling. It sets a beautiful tone for the home.
- Blessing the home through prayer, Scripture placed around the home, uplifting music.
- Scent. This is a wonderful thing to come home to, a good smelling home.
- Home Cooking. Who doesn't love to come home to a nice, hot, home cooked meal.
- Treats. Surprising the family with unexpected treats along and along.
- Fill our hearts with the love and grace of Jesus and pour it out in the home.
- Pray diligently for the home. While working in it, before entering, before leaving.
- Speak blessings out loud. Pray through the home the qualities and characteristics you want to see develop.
The time, effort and energy it takes to make a home is a worthwhile investment that brings a lifetime of beautiful rewards of joy as the essence of home is engraved on the hearts of our family.