Skip to main content

Just Fill It Up

Apparently, I am very special in my home!  It seems there are several tasks that I must do so well, no one else will even attempt to try them.  Things like...putting a new roll of toilet paper on the roll, putting clean towels out, putting salt in the salt shaker or coffee in the jar we use every morning, emptying the ice trays (yes, we still use ice trays, the ice maker broke about 8 years ago and we've  been debating a new refrigerator and didn't want to get it fixed if we were getting a new one!!). 

 I used to let it bother me that I was the ONLY one who could do so many of these little tasks.  Sometimes I would brew and stew and let bitterness come into my heart.  Sometimes I would just refuse to do it...but then it just didn't get done!   These things don't ever empty at a convenient time.  Realizing the salt shaker is empty as your sitting down to eat, or fumbling in the morning to make coffee and find that the jar is empty can be a bit traumatic!!!   

When I learned to get my mind off of myself and think of the 'manly' tasks my husband and three sons do to make life easier for me, it adjusted my attitude.  Isn't it amazing what happens when we think of others with a grateful heart?  A transformation is made and a new perspective is gained. Mowing the yard, changing the oil, raking leaves, taking the trash out are things I never have to worry about.  Filling things up around the house is much easier and is certainly nothing at all to complain about.

Since an organized home runs more smoothly, it becomes a bit of a fun challenge to keep things filled up.  Coffee, sugar, ice, toilet paper are carefully monitored and are less likely to run out when some close attention is given  to them.

There are some things in my heart that need some monitoring also or they may run out at an inopportune time. 
  • Kind words
  • Patience
  • Grace
  • Mercy
  • Loving gestures
  • Affection
  • Joy

These are vital things that don't need to run out and the only way to keep them full is to run to the Source to fill up daily.  Each day a new supply can come from spending time in prayer and in God's Word.  He can fill our hearts with the things that we will need for each day.  When we face (and we will) the challenges through the day, we can reach into a full heart and pull out some patience, some grace, some kindness, some mercy, some joy, some love etc.   

 A full heart meditates on God's Word through the day and is in a continual mind of prayer.  By reading the Bible each day, we take it in and then we can stay filled up by placing it where we can see it through the day.  As we face each challenge, we can seek the Lord's wisdom and guidance through our heart felt prayers.  When things are going well, we can praise the Lord for His goodness from a thankful heart. 

When we keep our heart and our home filled up, good things will flow out.  Things that bless others and make our homes sing a song of abundance.  Let's keep em full this week!!
Making your home sing Mondays

Comments

  1. Welcome back, friend! I pray that your fast was a blessing and a really profitable time. I am always thinking about this Making Your Home Sing Mondays and then, I forget....??

    But this post was encouraging for me today - just the other day, a co-worker was complaining (somewhat light-heartedly...and some not) about those certain things that get left for her to do - and I really allowed her attitiude to influence me. Then, I was grumbling in my own heart about the lack of help I get...blah blah and, yes, all me! This post was a good reminder.

    There certainly is much that gets done - that I don't have to think about...and what a blessing I have to do these little things - and, truly, it is not all about me!!

    Have a great Monday - and thanks for the thoughts:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true. I would much rather change a roll of toilet paper than take the garbage out!

    It's true that if we sit there and let it bother us, it's going to make us bitter. Thanks for reminding us to be joyful and for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your commment. It is a joy and blessing to hear from you and your words are appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.