Skip to main content

Martha, Martha, Keep Your Focus

Do you remember the biblical account of Mary and Martha?  They were two sisters and dear friends of Jesus.  Once when Jesus was passing through their town, Martha welcomed Him and His followers into their home.  Most of us women know that that simple sentence "Martha received and welcomed them into her home", involves and encompasses many tasks!  Received and welcomed are the basics of hospitality.  We all want to be hospitable!  But then the needs of guests quickly turn into work...hard work!  Cooking, cleaning, making them comfortable, serving food, filling drinks, etc. can quickly become a challenge.  Then to top it off...there sits her sister Mary, at the feet of Jesus, "doing" nothing!  Most of us can relate to Martha's complete meltdown at this point when she exclaims to Jesus "Lord, is it nothing to You that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me!"

This week I learned a little more about this passage that really hit home with me.  Here are a few different translations to Martha's issue:
  • But Martha [overly occupied and too busy] was distracted with much serving...Amplified Bible
  • But Martha was pulled away by all she had to do in the kitchen...The Message
  • Martha was worried about all that had to be done.   Contemporary English Version
  • But Martha was distracted by her many tasks, ... Holman Christian Standard Bible
The word "distracted" is translated as "pulled in many different directions".  The many details Martha was attending to, caused her to be distracted.  She lost her focus (receiving and welcoming) and got distracted, then reached her boilng point.  

I can surely relate to distraction!  With the many tasks of a home and daily life, often my focus wants to be on the Lord, but there is always laundry, dishes to be washed, family to care for, sports practices to get kids to, school work to stay on top of, church commitments, which must be completed and that is before attempting to reach out to others.  When I begin to think about what needs to be done and the things I want to do, my mind goes in many different directions and I get distracted.  My focus shifts and I become overwhelmed.  Eventually, my boiling point comes and I blow!  

Jesus tenderly explained to Martha that there was only one thing completely necessary and that was what Mary was doing. Mary's 'listening' is translated as "continual listening".  Jesus did not tell Martha that serving others was wrong, He simply wanted Martha to put first what should be first and put second what should be second.  

In our life and home, we can put the first thing first by doing the 'continual listening' to the Lord as we do the tasks our day demands.  By spending time with the Lord, we are filled and equipped. We are commanded to "Love the Lord with all of your heart, soul, mind and strength and then love your neighbor as yourself". (Matthew 22:37-39)  When we put Him first in our life, we will desire to love others.  When we 'seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, all these things shall be added unto you."  (Matthew 6:33) 

As we keep our homes, may we combine the best traits of Mary and Martha - getting things done, while keeping our hearts continually listening to the Lord.  May we keep distractions at bay by filling our hearts each day with God's Word and keeping our focus on Him throughout the day.  May we strive to keep our hearts full of the fruit of the Spirit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, self-control..., always being ready to ask the Lord for a more abundant supply.  Let's love Him, then love others.  That will make our lives and home sing a beautiful song!

Making your home sing Mondays

Comments

  1. What a trememdous reminder - with SO many things to be done each day, I often I need to remind myself that only one thing is truly needful. The rest is "the extra stuff"..no matter how convinced I am that the rest is the most important or critical.

    Great way to start my week - and the beginning of a frest to-do list:)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all about balance ... thanks for the reminder! Good to see you back - you took your blogging break and then I was on mine. Love the new look, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! You are right. As we love Him more we are able to love others because we are filled up with Him!

    Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this wonderful post! Even as I was reading your words, I could feel my heart start to soften. I have been so tense today trying to get every thing done that I "needed" to get done. I was definitely distracted! I have never been to your blog before and stumbled upon it quite by accident (as I was linking my recipe to another blog I saw a comment of yours and for some reason clicked on it). God knew that I needed to be reminded of this truth and he used you to do just that! Thank you - LeAnne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your commment. It is a joy and blessing to hear from you and your words are appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.