Recently I checked out a book from the local library called "The Healing Kitchen". This book shared a wealth of information on the benefits of spices (which can be used everyday) and herbs for flavor and medicinal purposes. Resolved to make my kitchen a little more healthier, I did further research and have severall new foods and spices I intend to try.
One thing I did do, was make Coconut Water. I had never heard of this before, but after some research found out a few facts about it:
Coconut Water is the nutritious clear liquid inside the coconut fruit which is packed with vitamins and minerals. There is usually more water in a young coconut, since the water is replaced by the white coconut flesh as it matures.
- Coconut Water is More Nutritious than whole milk - Less fat and NO cholesterol!
- Coconut Water is More Healthy than Orange Juice - Much lower calories
- Coconut water is naturally sterile -- Water permeates though the filtering husk!
- Coconut water is a universal donor-- Its identical to human blood plasma
- Coconut Water is a Natural Isotonic Beverage - The same level we have in our blood making it a blood purifier.
Sounds pretty good huh??!! Now, how about the practical stuff! Coconut water is found in young coconuts. I picked one up from my local Wal Mart. They look like this -
You can use the water in a smoothie (that's what I did!). Put some fruit (frozen works best) - mango, strawberries, banana, maybe a leaf of spinach or kale (you won't taste it, trust me, I did it!), use a few drops of fresh lime or lemon juice in a blender and mix up into a delicious and nutritious smoothie.
The hardest part of this will be opening the young coconut. But, here is a fantastic tutorial on it.
How To Open a Young Coconut Once it is opened, pour the water in a container and use it for several days. This is an easy way to implement some nourishment and vitality to your diet! Go ahead, try one this week!
For more information on coconut water see these articles:Home Remedies Web
Mind Your Body