Skip to main content

Bananas and Blueberries

This morning my  husband made the 'rotten bananas' comment to me again!  I keep bananas around and when they ripen, use them for baking.  It is a pet peeve of his to see brown bananas laying on the counter.  Although I've explained that if they turn a little brown, they are  not 'rotten', he can't get past the  sight of browning peel!

It is also time for blueberries to come in around here.  So, since I had been pretty stingy with last year's blueberries, it is time to pull some out of the freezer and use them.

I found a delicious sounding recipe for Blueberry Banana Coffee Cake I have in the oven right now!  It uses whole wheat flour along with all purpose for additional nutrition.  I'm also included another recipe for Banana Blueberry Cake which is super easy.  Scroll down for the easy one!
Blueberry Banana Coffee Cake
Streusel Topping:
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup old-fashion rolled oats
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened

Cake:
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup ripe mashed bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9-inch-square pan with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.

To make streusel:
Whisk together the sugar, flours, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl. Add the butter and mix with a pastry blender to make medium-size crumbs.

To make cake:
Whisk together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add eggs, one at a time, stopping to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl between additions. Stir in half the dry ingredients, then the milk and vanilla, scraping down the sides. Stir in remaining dry ingredients, then fold in mashed bananas and blueberries. Spread the batter in the prepared pan, and sprinkle the streusel evenly over the top.

Bake the cake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove it from the oven and let it cool, in the pan, on a rack.

Adapted from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking Cookbook from the kitchen of http://multiplydelicious.com/


Here is a super easy, super quick coffee cake.

Blueberry Banana Coffee Cake

CAKE:

1 (7 oz.) pkg. wild blueberry muffin mix (Jiffy)
1 (7 oz.) pkg. banana nut muffin mix (Jiffy)
1 egg
1/2 c. milk

STREUSEL TOPPING:
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

CAKE: Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 9x9x2 inch baking pan with shortening. Prepare the muffin mix as directed on package except, after mixing, pour the batter into the greased pan. Sprinkle with topping. Bake in 400 degree oven 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.

TOPPING: Mix 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl with fork until crumbly.



Comments

  1. Forwarded this to my daughter. She loves blueberry muffins and banana bread so I bet she will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Blueberry coffee cake sounds so good. I am always trying to use up old bananas too. I wanted to invite you to come over and share your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight today. Have a great day :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a yummy looking coffee cake. I like that there's lots of fruit in it. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-21.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your commment. It is a joy and blessing to hear from you and your words are appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We...

Paths of Prayer

Today, I'm joining up with Five Minute Friday, a fun writing opportunity to connect and share a quick thought on this week's theme "Path". For many years, when coming across a Scripture about 'paths', it turned into a prayer and desire to be led down God's open paths. Through the years of life which included, marriage, keeping a home, job, raising children and as they began to explore their own paths, seeking God and His paths became a vital part of life and prayer.  As God's Word reveals God's goodness and His ways, I want to be walking - living a lifestyle on the paths that He leads.  Some of my favorite 'path' verses include: Proverbs 4:18 "But the path of the just is like the shining sun, That shines ever brighter unto the perfect day."   Psalm 25:4,  "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths,"  Proverbs 3:5-6: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding; in all your way...

Word-Filled Wednesday

I love participating in Word Filled Wednesday . This is hosted over at 160 acrewoods and is designed to share God's Word with verse and picture. Go over and take a peek - you will be blessed! The verse I chose for today is one of my favorite verses. A while back during an intense trial of watching a loved one struggle with addiction - ready to lose everything over the addiction, I read this verse and it spoke to my heart clearly. Without God - there is no hope, the things of this world will leave you empty and void. Chasing after the things of the world is like chasing the wind, you just can't grasp it. But in God there is hope. Even though the trial may be tough and challenging, God is hope and He will fill you with peace and joy as you believe in Him and you will abound in hope. May your day be blessed and filled with HOPE!