It has been said that sons hold your hand for a short time, but will hold your heart forever. As a mom to three sons, this surely rings true!
"Good timber does not grow with ease. The stronger the wind the stronger the trees". - Williard Marriott
Our other sons are nearly grown and within the next year or so, will be out on their own. As much as that terrifies me and saddens me to have them leave, they must be equipped to face life on their own. Courage is a must. Coddling, being sentimental will feed my feelings, but will do nothing to equip them as they face the challenges and trials of life. Courage and being strong in spirit will sustain them as they face decisions on their own (without asking mom!), as they fight temptations and journey down the paths set before them.
These prayers, although perhaps hard right now, will yield a lifetime of benefits and a lasting legacy. Some prayers for our sons may include for them:
- To 'be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might'.
- To be courageous in all situations ("I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me").
- To be strong in heart. Never compromising, but always be in prayer and receive guidance from the Lord.
- To seek wisdom and understanding from the Lord.
- To be diligent, to ponder their paths and not be led astray.
- To be overcomers through faith and God's Word.
- To be responsible for their own actions, to accept and grow from instruction.
- To have deep spiritual roots. By keeping God's Word in their heart, may they follow the leading of the Holy Spirit in all circumstances.
- To depart from evil and do good.