- Spread pumpkin butter on your toast or biscuits
- Pumpkin butter makes a great topping on pancakes.
- Spread on crackers
- Stir in oatmeal
- Mix in with vanilla flavored yogurt
Adapted from AllRecipes
1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree, approx. 3 1/2 cups
3/4 cup apple or orange juice
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Juice of half a lemon
optional - grated lemon and orange zest to taste
1. Combine pumpkin, apple juice, spices, and sugar in a large saucepan; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened. Stir frequently. Adjust spices to taste. Stir in lemon juice, or more to taste.
2. Once cool, pumpkin butter can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge.
To preserve: Spoon hot pumpkin mixture into hot jars, filling to within 1/4 inch from top. Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
*FDA guidelines suggest pumpking is not suitable to can since it doesn't have enough acid.
It can be safely frozen to preserve or stored in refridgerator and used promptly.