Skip to main content

Taking the High Road - A Journey To Excellence

Taking the High Road can be defined as "The most positive, diplomatic, or ethical course." Some other ideas mean doing the right thing even if its not popular or easy.  To "take the high road" is to maintain impeccable integrity, honesty and decorum. To take "the low road" is less than that.

On our journey of life we work, we go, we do and can sometimes we can get lost in the shuffle of life around us.  We see those we come in contact with and can fall into the same mode almost automatically.  Take a look at the women you see around. Most conversations consist of how busy we are, what we have going on and where we are going to next.  Christian women are stressed, harried, trying to do the right thing, but often fall short of meeting the expectations of everyone around them.  Decisions are based on what needs to be done right now because time does not wait and all too soon it is time to move on to something else.  "The High Road" looks nice, but takes so much effort, is it worth all the trouble to be distinctively different than the many on the basic road for life? 
With a compassionate eye, let's take a look at women who don't know the Lord.  Those who are not Christians, will not act like Christians, and we shouldn't expect them to. But a look at their choices reveal some deep needs in their lives. With their choices of dress (wearing pajamas in Wal Mart or clothes that may expose way too much are some extreme examples) to their tone used with children (listen in the grocery store to the frustrated mom) and husbands (speaking about with little respect) show that they desperately need the love and grace of our Lord.  Low self esteem, hopelessness, laziness, irritation and not enough hope or will to change can bring any woman down. While many a Christian woman has walked in those shoes, grace and transformation has changed our hearts. May we never lose sight that our Lord pulled us up out of the miry clay, set our feet upon a rock and established our paths. (Psalms 40). A higher standard one holds to and with God's grace and love flowing from us, we can give those around us a glimpse of what the Lord can do.  He alone can transform and change the heart.  We are never above anyone else, but we simply have accepted the grace of our Lord and allowed Him to fill us with more of Him and less of us.  And He offers that grace to all. 
This New Year, I will be "Taking the High Road - To Excellence".  Each month will be a pursuit of a particular area to excel in:
  1. Worship
  2. Faith
  3. Grace
  4. Prayer
  5. Marriage
  6. Speech
  7. Dress
  8. Nutrition
  9. Simple Living
  10. Vision
  11. Time Management
  12. Presentation
Daniel 6:3 talks of Daniel -"Then this Daniel distinguished himself above the governors and satraps, because an excellent spirit was in him;" An excellent spirit is something worth pursuing. It consistently brings out the best in every situation.  It is behind the smallest task to the greatest thing we do.  An excellent spirit makes the ordinary - extraordinary.  But, it doesn't 'just happen'.  It takes diligence, work, effort and guidance. It happens step by step, area by area, habit by habit. That's why I'm devoting this year to seek out an excellent spirit.

 To help keep me on track, I'm setting up a notebook divided into 12 sections (one per month).  My purpose is for that month to read, learn and grow in that area.  Planning a New Years resolution is good, but purposefully practicing it, learning more about it and keeping the topic in front of my eyes is much more effective and hopefully will not only be learned, but implanted into the heart and extended into daily life.
Wear new habits and your life gets a makeover. Consistently do things at the same time everyday and find yourself a new person.  - A Holy Experience
To do this effectively, I'll be putting these things into practice and sharing them weekly on the blog.  I hope you'll come for a visit and grow with me on A Journey To Excellence" this New Year.

But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us.  II Corinthians 4:6


Comments

  1. This sounds so amazing! What a great idea. New year's resolutions never entice me, I know myself to well. I will not eat better, I will not exercise, no matter how much I determine ahead of time I'm going to. It's like a work of the flesh.

    I love your approach and your philosophy.
    "Wear new habits and your life gets a makeover."

    Looking forward to walking the faith/blogging journey with you again in 2012. Blessings, dear sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While reading y our blog I thought what an excellant mentor you would be for me. I could so use the guidance. We attend a baptist church with weekly attendance reacing 275-300 each Sunday. I was the women’s ministry leader at one time but stepped down because of my fighting God. I felt as though I were Jacob wrestling with God but instead of one night it has been 4 years now. I am not in church - my husband will go by himself.
    i am going to subscribe by email so I won’t get lost.Looking forward to what you have to share with me this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your commment. It is a joy and blessing to hear from you and your words are appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.