Was a new year's diet plan a resolution for you this year? Is so, you're not alone. The new year for many people that means starting a new diet. And for many of them the next week, the second week of January, will be when they “blow” their diet and go back to square one. That’s why the Healthy Weight Network sponsors Healthy Weight Week during the third week in January, which this year is January 15-21.
Healthy Weight Week “is a time to celebrate healthy living habits that last a lifetime and prevent eating and weight problems, rather than intensifying them, as diets do. Healthy Weight Week promotes healthy non-diet lifestyles for children and adults of every size. It helps them move ahead to healthy habits they can live with long term - sound, reasonable habits that allow them to live well and get on with their lives. Eat well, live actively, and feel good about yourself and others.”
Diets don't usually work. It takes replacing bad health habits with better health habits. And it may not happen in 21 days!
Instead, Healthy Weight Week is about eating not like you are “on a diet” but adopting healthy living habits that last a lifetime. Recommended habits from Pathway To Healing include:
• Eating well. Choose balance and variety, focusing on fresh options from all the food groups. Enjoy your food!
• Avoiding deprivation. Instead, eat in moderation at regular times (three meals plus 1-3 snacks) to satisfy hunger, and tune in to your body’s internal signals of when you are hungry or full.
• Being active in your own way every day. Focus on the pleasure of movement and its health and energy benefits, not only on calories burned.
• Relaxing. Find ways to relieve stress in your life.
• Starting now, decide it’s time to be your own best self!
The Healthy Weight Network has some great information on living a healthy lifestyle along with identifying common diet fraud and quackery.
Instead of falling for the latest diet craze, let's arm ourselves with knowledge, work towards good habits that will last a lifetime.