Skip to main content

Be an Encourager...but Start at Home!

Being an avid web surfer, I find many amazing web sites and/or blogs that I really like and want to go back and visit.  One little solution I find is to subscribe to the site if I want to stay in touch with it.  That happened recently when I found a challenge for a simple, organized Christmas - with a day by day post from Kathi Lipp.  Apparently, this site is on to another challenge:  "Praying God's Word For Your Man".    Between today's challenge and a podcast I heard this morning, I got a clear message in my heart - Be an encourager and start at home!

 
Each woman is either building up or tearing down their homes.  Usually I relate this to 'making' the home, keeping it in balance, doing what is good, putting effort into making it a place of comfort, peace where the family can come and find a haven. 
 
I read a fantastic article about encouragement over at Revive Our Hearts.  It told about the power and need for encouragement and then admonished..."We are to encourage one another daily... and then some action...Ask the Lord to impress your heart: “Who is someone that You’ve put in my life right now that You really want me to make an intentional effort to encourage?”

Now the kicker...we start with our own families. It’s really hypocritical for us to be trying to encourage everyone else in the world and then being discouragers inside the four walls of our own homes.  Do we encourage people outside our home more than you do the people who live in our home?
 
Now, I think all of us, if we’re honest, would have to say sometimes it’s easier to encourage people outside our homes than it is to encourage the people we live with all the time because that’s where we let our hair down. That’s where we don’t worry as much about manners, though we should, or how we affect each other, though we should. Sometimes we’re just tired of the people we live with. The people we go to church with or the people that we work with, well, we can muster up what it takes to encourage them.  The starting place for the ministry of encouragement should be in our own homes.
 
May we be stirred to be a builder of our homes and also our families with the power of encouragement!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.