Skip to main content

I'm Broken...But Filled with Gace



I'm a broken person.  Don't be alarmed, nothing catastrophic happened recently, I'm healthy and happy, but realizing that so many things are out of my control. 
 
The more mature and wiser I get (and older), the less control I have over things in my life.  The days of being able to 'make' my children mind have long gone.  They are growing into their own person, making their own choices...all without my constant guidance!  My parenting mistakes glare at me and haunt me at times.  I'm not a perfect parent!!
 
As a Christian for over 25 years, my knowledge has grown, but there are still areas that I don't like...attitudes, habits, ingrained actions...that seem to always be lurking deep inside my heart ready to come out.  I'm not the perfect Christian!! 
 
I am a very private person.  Sharing good advice comes easy for me, but  opening up to share weaknesses is a big struggle. 
 
When regrets try to come in my mind and heart, I realize how far from perfect I am. Instead of allowing my weaknesses to overwhelm me, I turn my eyes on the Lord and to His grace.  He knows (and how well!) that I can never be perfect.  I am a sinner, broken by sin and the sinful nature every Christian battles.  But His grace, can make some miraculous changes.
 
As a parent, He can take my mistakes and bring grace and life into my children's lives, His love covers a multitude of sins.
 
As a Christian, a steadfast heart, set on Him will flourish and not be set back by temptations or distractions.
 
Being broken allows for freedom from attempting to have it all together.  We can connect to others more easily with transparency and truth.  We can share one another's burdens by understanding and sharing about weaknesses and encourage one another through those weaknesses, God's strength shines through. 
 
 There is no shame in being broken.  Proverbs tells us that there is honor in humility.  Being broken is not being hopeless.  It is the opposite...God takes our weaknesses and fills them with His strength.  Being broken allows His grace to fill us, to spill out into the lives of others and most importantly, to allow Him to shine through us. 
 
I'm not perfect and thank God for His love and grace that makes me complete in Him!
 
"We believe, that the work of regeneration, conversion, sanctification and faith, is not an act of man's free will and power, but of the mighty, efficacious and irresistible grace of God."  Charles Spurgeon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.