What a beautiful mix of emotions this month brings. Marriage is definitely first on the mind, as today is our 25 wedding anniversary!! It doesn't seem possible, I can remember my parents talking about their 25 anniversary!!! The years have flown by and through the good times and the trying times, God has blessed us mightily and been the source of life for us.
Also, my oldest son is engaged and we are immersed in plans for next month's wedding. It is fun to be involved in the events going on with them as they prepare to begin their new life together. Wedding details, new home preparations, bridal showers....I clearly remember the excitement and joy this season of life brings.
But in the midst of all that joy, 25 years has taught me that there is more to marriage than the ceremony and a new home. A new life is one where two people merge into one family. It is a beautiful picture of how the love of Christ fills our hearts and makes us His. But it takes much transitioning, understanding, patience and self sacrifice.
I love marriage quotes, those quick, powerful reminders that can change my attitude and help me when I need a little 'refocusing" on being a better wife! “A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.” – Matthew 12:35 This is a reason to keep good things in my heart and reminders of the true gift that marriage is. The world we live in doesn't seem to take marriage very serious. It may recognize the joining of two into one, but often neglects the needed aspects needed to cultivate the marriage. The qualities of faithfulness, sacrifice, honor, dependability get lost in the world's view of convenience, selfishness and our own happiness.
Time Warp Wife shares that "Passion stems from the heart. When you’re passionate about something it’s obvious to everyone around you–there’s no mistaking it." For a thriving marriage, we must remain passionate about one another. Yes, it takes work and sacrifice and training to share a life with another, but..."marriage is an incomparable union designed by the hands of an almighty God. There’s nothing more beautiful on this earth than walking through life with your best-friend by your side, unless it’s making a family with that best friend which is one blessing on top of another." Marriage takes work, but when it becomes your passion, it will be well worth the sacrifice!
Here are 10 powerful marriage quotes by Time Warp Wife, to read, re-read and help keep our hearts passionately focused on one another.
- “Don’t compare your love story to those you watch in movies. They’re written by scriptwriters, yours is written by God.” – Unknown
- “My husband is one of my greatest blessings from God. His love is a gift that I open every day.” – Darlene Schacht
- “The difference between an ordinary marriage and an extraordinary marriage is in giving just a little ‘extra’ every day, as often as possible, for as long as we both shall live.” – Fawn Weaver
- “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” - Mignon McLaughlin
- “Love is all of the moments–the good and the bad–and knowing that through them all, we’ll still be together.” – Darlene Schacht
- “I feel like I can conquer the world with one hand, when you are holding the other.” – Unknown
- “When I tell you I love you, I don’t say it out of habit, or to make conversation. I say it to remind you that you’re the best thing that ever happened to me.” – Unknown
- “If he makes you laugh, kisses your forehead, says he’s sorry, makes an effort, holds your hand, works hard, attempts to understand you… then believe it or not, he’s quite perfect.” – Unknown
- “Relationships blossom when sacrifice takes the place of selfishness.” – Darlene Schacht
- “I can’t promise you that marriage will be easy, but I can say that marriage, the way God intended it to be, is a treasure worth fighting for.” – Darlene Schacht
A good marriage doesn't 'just happen", and the best start in in the heart, reminding ourselves of the gift of marriage and how God has given us His choice of a mate. What we do with His gift makes all the difference!