Skip to main content

Wives...Get In His Boat!!!

 
 
This month my sweet husband and I will celebrate 25 years of marriage!  Although I can honestly say I love him more today than ever, after all these years, it is easy to become comfortable in marriage.  We know each other so well, our likes, dislikes, our reactions to situations etc.  We just 'do life' so well together.
 
There is certainly nothing wrong with any of that and it wasn't until this special young lady came into our lives that my  marriage outlook perked up.
 
 
Young love is so fresh and vibrant, but it is also so much more.  My oldest son will be married soon and it is so sweet watching them together.  They are so thoughtful of each other, love to do things for the other, plan according to the other's plan, purposefully do life to best fit the other person.  They notice and express appreciation for the smallest acts of kindness. Eagerly do things for one another and seek to be the first to serve the other. 
 
After many years of marriage, sometimes those things can fade some.  Instead of the focus being on serving each other, it becomes easy to let him do for me.  Those small acts of kindness often get taken for granted.  Serving one another can become another thing on the 'to do' list.   Sometimes those special things he does don't even get noticed anymore. 
 
The other day at my home was 'laundry day' where I take all the towels to be washed.  It is important to my husband to have a towel ready when he needs one, so I "meant' to replace them before he got home.  He came home before my 'meant to' became a 'did it'!  As I walked through, he had gotten all new towels and replaced them, never said a word, just simply did it.  How many times does he do thoughtful things like that and I miss it?  I determined to start paying attention!
 
Little things that over the years he does so well, I've grown accustomed to him doing and fail to show appreciation.  Things like...
  • Taking the garbage out
  • keeping my car running smoothly
  • mowing the grass
  • choosing family over selfish desires
  • leading with integrity
  • diligently and faithfully supporting our family
  • gently guiding us when we get off track
  • and the list can go on and on...
 
Marriage, love, blessing our homes are all comprised of choices and being deliberate and intentional to choose well.  Extraordinary things don't 'just happen', they are made to happen!  A vibrant marriage isn't one where we just exist, it come to pass with the choices we make to put the other's needs and desires first.  It is a daily series of looking for the things we love and appreciate and sharing that.  It is seeking ways to make the other one happy. Sometimes it can be choosing their way over ours, but in return, be assured blessings will come. 



 
I'll never forget the day this picture was taken...my son had to do a minor repair on his boat, he told her what he was going to do, and she quickly answered, "I'll go with you".  Although it was a 5 minute job, she wanted to be with him.  This sweet attitude attracted my younger son out to join them, then seeing this unfold from my kitchen window, drew me out to capture it with the camera!  A truly loving attitude attracts others!!


Wives, may we be encouraged to 'get in his boat", take time to appreciate our men, love them, choose them and bless them.  Making them a priority will be one of our greatest blessings that can be passed on through generations.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.