Skip to main content

Getting Your Morning Started Right



It has been said that each person is either a 'morning person" or a "night owl", mainly referring to the time of day they are most effective. Morning people wake up alert and ready to tackle the day, night owls wake up slower and as the day goes by gain their energy and momentum. 

Regardless of which group we find ourselves in, each day we must get up and face each day.  We usually develop a morning routine that works well for us. Being a morning person, I get up early enough to have 2 hours before I get out the door. And alot can get accomplished in that time!!  Coffee and devotion are first followed by exercise, household chores, breakfast, dinner preparations and getting ready to leave for the day.  It is not uncommon for my family to wake up to the dishwasher and washing machine running, breakfast cooking and their mom a blur, moving from task to task in between hair and make up!  Plans for the day are set in my mind and the day gets off to a great start.


I recently came across an article that started with the thought...“How you start your day is how you start your life.”  I was all in after reading that!!!  There were 7 suggested questions to ask yourself each morning. Let's take a look!

1,  If I could only get one thing done today, what would it be?
This question can help scatter distractions and get our focus on the biggest priority of the day.

2.  Have I set aside quiet time with God to pray, reflect and read His Word?
To me, this is the most important thing of the morning.  During times of prayer, our worry is released, our hearts receive peace and our faith is increased.  Reading God's Word can equip us with God's power to face the day.

3.  Is there any unconfessed sin in my life that I should confess?
That unsettled issue/attitude  that always seems to come up, could it be something we need to confess and move on from?

4.  Are there any relational issues with others that need rectifying?
Ouch!  Another area that may be difficult to deal with, but will be well worth it in the end!
5.  Am I eating a healthy breakfast with plenty of protein and healthy carbs?
I've been practicing this and can tell a huge difference by adding more protein to my breakfast.  Turkey bacon, turkey sausage, oatmeal with a scoop of peanut butter, yogurt, cottage cheese or protein smoothies are my favorite healthy breakfasts. 

6.  Am I focusing on the positive, good things in life and ministry, or do my thoughts immediately turn negative?
So much of our day depends on our attitude and what we focus on.  May we be diligent to practice and keep our thoughts positive.  For the Christian, it is powerful to claim Bible verses that remind us of God's greatness and unlimited power.

7. Do I have a consistent routine like getting up at the same time, eating at the same time, taking a shower at the same time, etc., or is each morning dramatically different?
A good routine is of great benefit!!  My 2 hour morning routine is divided up and I know what should be done by what time.  If it gets off, it is easy to re balance!

What we do first thing in the morning will dramatically affect the rest of your day. The Psalmist offers great advice with these words.


"Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul". (Ps 143.8, NIV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.