Have you noticed how many people walk for exercise these days? Any town you may encounter usually has walkers up and down the roads. If you are a walker, you find a bond with them as you pass!
It's no wonder walking is so popular, it's fun, easy and brings a host of benefits such as:
- Brisk walking helps reduce body fat, lower blood pressure, and increase high-density lipoprotein that transport cholesterol and triglycerides to the blood stream.
- Walking helps to improve balance and coordination.
- It is suggested that walking 6,000 steps a day will improve health and 10,000 steps a day will help one lose weight.
- Walking can help decrease the risk of heart attack, decrease the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, and can even reduce the risk of bone fracture. Additionally, brisk walking can reduce stress and depression levels as well as improve cancer survival rates.
- Researchers have found that women who walked at least 1.5 hours per week had significantly better cognitive function than women who walked less than 40 minutes a week.
As an avid walker, I have walked for years, even when it wasn't the in thing! My walking habits have drastically changed through the years and stages of life. From pregnant walking or waddling!, to baby stroller pushing, to walking around and around the yard while young children played outside so I could keep my eye on them. I've walked many miles while waiting for sports practices to finish and some of the best times of fellowship have been while walking with friends and family.
There are no young children in our home now, so there is a little more freedom for walking. Routines change to accommodate work schedules and the summer heat. Although walking is enjoyable to me and I can eagerly get up and go, a little structure always helps me out. A good challenge seems to inspire me and give me a little push to do a little better.
I'm joining a free challenge which begins next week. The Walk It Off Now Challenge found HERE, hosted by Wendy Pett is totally FREE and is a 6 week plan with video emails to keep you inspired. For those (like me) who sometimes want to dig deeper, there is an option for an annual membership which provides daily interaction, group support and personal coaching. If you would like to learn more, visit Wendy's website.
The free challenge begins on July 3, but as a special surprise, Wendy is giving away one FREE upgrade. This includes:
Walk It Off Now program and a free year membership!!! $197 value.
1. 4 challenges for the year with complete plan via emails, video and download
2. Access to join the private community with daily accountability and coaching from Wendie
3. Walk It Off Now "DEVO" Style devotional (ebook form),
4. Tracking journal
5. Live walks each week with Wendie,
6. FB Private Group party with giveaways (great prizes like a Fitbit)
To enter this giveaway, simply leave a comment on this blog post and a winner will be selected on June 30.
I hope this will inspire you this summer to get walking and enjoy some great heath benefits!
Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Wendie Pett for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.