Last week I picked up an old book. An old, but timeless book by Evelyn Christenson who writes, "I have discovered through the years that surprising things happen when I pray, 'Lord, change me--don't change my husband, don't change my children, don't change my pastor, change me!, . . . More and more the fact comes into focus that they, and not I, are responsible before God for their actions. But I am responsible for the changes that need to be made in me."
Since beginning the book and praying the heartfelt prayer of Lord, Change ME, I've been drawn to reality of love. Love must be genuine if it is to last. God's love is timeless and perfect and is the equipping I need to truly love. A recent devotion resonated with that true love I'm looking to receive and to give:
The only way we walk in love – God’s love – is to look to Him to fill us with His love, the kind of love …
… that is an act of the will,
… that takes action rather than being content with mere words,
… that extends itself to the unlovely,
… that gives for the sake of loving, and
… that involves the sacrifice of self.
How to walk in love today:
- Begin loving the people God puts in your path by first loving those people at home. As the saying goes, “What you are at home is what you are!” So walk in God’s love… at home.
- Go to God throughout the day for a fresh supply of His love to share. At the first hint of waning love, look to the Lord of love.
- Remember that your assignment is to serve (Galatians 5:13).
- Remember Jesus, who “did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many” (Matthew 20:28).
- As you live out God’s love, be sure to spend time praying to the God of love. And while you are praying about living out God’s love, open yourself up to receive from Him His endless supply of life-giving, life-changing love.
God's love is measureless and freely given that we may walk in it and show it to others.