Skip to main content

Outrunning Your Plans




I wear the title "Runner" proudly because it allows a lot of freedom - it's not based on speed, distance or frequency, if you run - you are considered a runner!  If you don't run, WAIT...don't leave, this post isn't all about running, there are some nuggets to take away about real life. 

To be a truly great runner that continually advances, much time and energy must be put in.  Since my running began later in life, the attraction for me is the energy that it gives and the feeling of accomplishment it brings. I've found it is hard to find that place of continual advancement in mileage, but I do try to keep up a consistent routine. 

In running as well as most things in life, the mind is in charge.  Your body follows what your mind tells it to do. When I run my mind is set on a particular distance and often it is measured by landmarks. On a recent run, my point to stop running and begin walking was a church.  This sweet little church I pass is a small country church that stands empty except for Sunday mornings. As I rounded the curve and was preparing for a rest from running, the parking lot of the church was full, cars lined the roadway and several people were on the church steps.  A funeral was about to begin. Trying hard not to be any kind of disruption, I decided to wait on my rest from running and continue past.  That's when the exhilarating feeling hit as I passed my mind goal and kept going!  It was a moment to bypass my plans due to circumstances and forgo the limits I placed on myself. 

For Christians, (like runners), if you have accepted Christ, you are a Christian.  It is not based on what you do, what you don't do, rules or religious rituals. The banner over a Christian is Christ's love and it is sufficient. God is a good God and has great plans for each of us.  Each one is lovingly created by Him and there are great things He has for us to do with the gifts, talents and abilities He has placed in us. 

Like the landmarks my mind allows me to stop at while running, in life we often pull up and slow down at certain times. Things like fear, insecurity or fatigue stop us from pressing forward. But one of those exhilaration moments can come in life when we push past our mind limits and trust in the Lord with all of our heart.  Opening the heart and believing in Gods' Word turns the focus to what God alone can do.  

Ephesians 2:10 "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

Philippians 3: 13-14 "Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,  I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

And when our minds bring us to a stopping point. May faith push through and point us to Jesus...
"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen."  Ephesians 3:20-12

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.