Skip to main content

A Litttle Breathing Room

Our annual vacation discussion began like always..."where do you want to go?"  Being a beach girl, you know my standard answer...the beach! But sweet hubby is tired of the heat and humidity of summer plus sand and crowds are not his idea of relaxing.  Watching Shark Week didn't help my weak attempt to plea for a beach vacation either!

Back and forth our discussions went until the beginning  of school was fast approaching.  Dates were cleared with our jobs and plans were quickly made to spend a week in the mountains.  I dearly love the beach, but there is something equally majestic about the mountains.  We arrived at the cabin to find the back porch overlooked this gorgeous view.




After a day of adventure - my first time zip lining, and exploring hiking trails, creeks and walks I chose to spend the day at the cabin alone while the guys went golfing. After the initial thoughts of 'what am I going to do  all day by myself' I purposed to enjoy it.  Most of the morning was spent on the deck beholding the beauty of creation. It was a time to purposefully reflect on our God  who is the Creator. I pulled my Bible  back out and re-read the morning's devotion  which came from Psalms 24 - "The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof." 




Freshness poured into my soul while simply sitting and reflecting on the goodness of  God. The sight of the mountain in front of me, the sounds of the birds, soft breezes and construction noises from somewhere below were an interesting combination. The noises were a gentle reminder that life and its noise  never stops. But, it's what I choose to hear and reflect on that makes the difference.



Of course we can't live on vacation.  It is  over way too soon, but just as memories of special times like this are cherished in our minds, a little breathing  room can make a world of difference  in our everyday lives. Sometime through every day, we can stop, breathe and bless God.  He is always there, a whispered prayer, concern or thought of gratitude in the midst of our busy routine can bring a breath of  freshness to the day.



We are encouraged in Scripture to  make the most of our time. Finding a little breathing room gives that bit of time to refocus. To help pull us out of overwhelmed into a time to breathe in God's grace. Which in turn equips us to  pour out God's grace to those around us.  

Putting trust in the Lord enables us to ward off panic, worry and anxiety. Recalling and meditating on His Word that is filled with promises helps keep that focus. When waves of uncertainty are filling us up, the power of God's Word is like a breath of fresh air, to clear out the doubts, and to instead fill the heart with faith.  God is good, He is all knowing, all powerful and able to be trusted. He is greater than our fears and anxieties. 

God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble.  Psalm 46:1 NKJV

The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid?  Psalms 27:1-2

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.  John 14:27




May you take time today to squeeze in some breathing room.  It will change your day!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.