Skip to main content

Ride Free


When our children were younger they loved to ride their bicycles. We lived in the country down a small paved road.  Not too far from our home was 'the hill', a sharp and uphill portion of the road which took extreme effort to climb but the ride down was something they loved to do.  

As a young mom, I was fearful for their safety as they were flying down that hill on their bikes. A million 'what if's would go through my mind, what if a car is coming around the curve, what if they are going too fast and crash, on and on I would worry and they would race past me loving the thrill of the ride. Sometimes I even asked them to put the brakes on while going down so they didn't go too fast!  

Through the years, the boys grew up and no longer ride bicycles. We moved away from that road but still have family close to there.  Recently the youngest son was mowing a family member's grass and while waiting for him, I brought my bicycle and went for a ride on that same road.  As I approached 'the hill', headed downward it was so much fun!  The speed, the breeze, the feeling of being free made for a great 30 seconds of bliss!  A few more miles of easy riding were enjoyed before headed back and up the hill.  It's much more difficult going up!  But, slow and steady and pushing pedal after pedal, I made it.  

It's funny how time changes your perspective.  I learned as life went by that worse things than skinned knees from falling off a bike would happen. Trials, heartache, disappointments, joys contentment, love would all flow together in life.  Good times and times of challenge will share the ride of life. 

This month we embrace a new season of life. The youngest son is now driving.  As a mom, I"m not needed anymore to drive him where he needs to go, he can get there himself. This morning, I enjoyed my coffee and devotion reading while he got ready and left for school.  Then took a bicycle ride myself!  Although I miss not being needed, I'm going to enjoy some of the freedom that is coming!

Every season has its own shares of ups and downs.  Like the bike ride, we get on and go, we hit easy paths, challenging hills and downhill bursts of joy.  When God is our pilot, we can trust Him to guide us in and through every season of life.  The 'what if's of life will drive us crazy and bring anxiety to our lives if we dwell on them. Trusting in God enables us to hit those hills with His strength, to fly free in the good times, to trust and not fight against the seasons of life.  Wherever you are today, ride free...God's is in control! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.