Skip to main content

People First, Phones Second

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Selfies are defined as "a photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and shared via social media."
The definition I looked up also added this quote -"occasional selfies are acceptable, but posting a new picture of yourself everyday isn't necessary".  Can I get an "amen'?!!

'Back in the day' when I was younger, cell phones and selfies were not around...thankfully!  I love photos and when the selfie craze began, my children were too old to want to take pictures with me and I was getting too mature to take too many pictures of myself.  There is a balance to everything in life and in the selfie spectrum, it could be aligned as taking enough selfies to share your life with friends and families but not to overload them with them constantly!   

This fabulous book I'm reading - "Calm, Cool and Connected" which becomes available this week, shared some powerful thoughts on 'how to notice others in a selfie world'. What do you think of this quote..."Society would benefit from a non-selfie movement of people who focus on others online. Technology can be well used to leave a legacy and to invest in people and causes you believe in." 

Although I"m not one to do many selfies, a recent need for a social media appearance for a work related project had me scurrying to the restroom to fix hair, replace lipstick and make sure my appearance was up to par. There is nothing like being 'on camera' to instantly turn the focus to self.  

Even what was supposed to be a quick family selfie to celebrate a milestone in our son's life turned into a repeated photo session simply because I didn't look my best!

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, sunglasses and closeup

The picture turned out great, but the moment was lost through the focus on self.  

As Christians, we are called to be others centered.  Turning attention to others takes practice and intention. It calls for observation, to pay close attention to others and to listen whole-heartedly. With some determination, even social media can be used to bless and encourage others. Instead of some of the negative emotions it may draw out such as curiosity, comparison, judgement we can use words to bless, encourage and support.  

Selfies are here to stay and I love them!  But may we be encouraged to do a quick glance at our self and linger long at others. Remember, people first! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.