Skip to main content

A Keto Christian



Have you ever heard of the Keto eating plan?  Don't say the "Keto Diet" because it is more than a few weeks of disciplined eating.  This plan is the foundation for a healthy eating lifestyle. In fact, when I would hear about it, I would automatically dismiss it when I heard the 'rules'...no bread, pasta, carbs or sugar.  Not something I was ready to give up!

A volunteer at my workplace comes once a week. We noticed one week how nice and healthy her hair looked.  The next week, her hair was shiny and healthy and her skin truly glowed.  We asked her what she was doing to get these beautiful changes and she told us it was the addition of healthy fats in her diet that was responsible. "Tell us more" we all said and she shared she has been on the Keto plan for a few weeks.  Right away new interest was sparked - a keto book appeared in the office, conversation began to revolve around this eating plan, new recipes came to the office, we wanted those benefits we saw in our friend!

I have been struggling with the unhealthy affects of too many sugar and carbs.  Time after time I would try to cut back, only to fall back into the cycle of overeating, feeling awful, regrouping, and doing it all over again. So I decided to try the Keto plan for a few days. A little research quickly assured me there were treats for my sweet tooth and vegetables that could substitute for the carbs I craved.  The basis of the Keto plan is to train your body to use fat for fuel instead of carbs.  It is a transition, but there are a ton of recipes and advice for anyone wanting to give it a try.  Guidelines of what is acceptable to eat and what will throw you out of ketosis are clear. Diligent to stay in the fat burning mode, I easily stayed away from the foods that would hinder that process. 

It's still early in my keto journey and I don't know if this is the forever eating plan for me, but I am reaping the benefits and my body is responding well.  I'm not feeling deprived and am anxious for those good fats to bring about that glow that attracted me to the plan in the first place!

What if as Christians, we exhibited some of those characteristics, maybe be a 'Keto Christian'.  What if we had a glow that radiated all around us that was so noticeable, people asked us about it. Does peace, joy or kindness in someone attract others?  YES!  Simply because it is different from the norm. How do we get those traits? 

In Keto, it is the good fats that are used for energy and affect all areas of the body. Those good fats come mostly from good, quality oils - avocado, olive and coconut oil. For the Christian the Holy Spirit is our oil.  As a child I learned a song...'give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning, burning, burning.'  This represented the fact that our light that shines come from the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit lives in every Christian and is the One that gives wisdom, guidance and clarity.  Dr Eric Mason says..."What the work of the Spirit does when He permeates every single area of your life, when He comes in He pours Himself into you, and as He’s poured Himself into you He begins to get into every area and crack and crevice of your life."  When we desire the things of God, He will give them to us.   Resolve that the Lord will be the strongest influence in your life.  Like the Keto plan, we focus on what we know is good and turn away from the things that hinder our progress. That is how we get results. Seek the oil of God, turn away from the empty carbs of the world. To be a fruitful Christian, disciple must come into our life, to seek the things of the Lord through His Word, prayer and choosing the best response, action of love and words that reflect the goodness of God. When that balance of good fats - the oil of the Holy Spirit  is full in our hearts and we're using that energy He gives to live a life pleasing to Him, people will notice.  The things of God will shine through us and when asked - we freely share how great our God is and that His mercy, love and grace are abounding and without limit.  And how others can be a "Keto Christian' too! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.