Skip to main content

Words Matter - Let Them Bring Life

Image result for speaking words that bring life

Words are powerful tools in our hands (or mouth!). Depending on our aim, we can make them arrows that can build up or tear down. They can impart wisdom or bring shame. They can deliver encouragement or deflate the spirit. Words can be a weapon or a healing balm. A welcome sound or a dreaded racket. 

It is easy to remember words spoken by others into our lives. Some build us up and when we remember them, give us a warm feeling deep down in our hearts! They inspire us to become what those words spoke to us. Maybe we heard words that cut deep.  They too echo in our minds with a taunting cry and reminder of failure or mistakes. The voices we choose to listen to affect us greatly. We long to choose to remember the good words.  The Bible tells us that 'death and life are in the power of the tongue." 

We cannot do anything about harmful words in the past, but we can begin today to choose to give words of life to those around us. Because words often seem to fly out of our mouths quickly, choosing uplifting words requires deliberate and intentional action. Thinking and choosing gracious words for appropriate times while listening for the quiet warning when words are not appropriate is a delicate balance that will take much refining.  I read a verse this week that I need sealed in my heart.."He who has knowledge spares his words, And a man of understanding is of a calm spirit."  Proverbs 17:27. Words matter and it is never too late to purpose to choose words that bless.

So here is a challenge. Will you carve out some time today to use your words to encourage — to intentionally bless others? Someone is waiting to hear how thankful you are for them. It might just make their day. 

Love Prompts
Got a minute? Grab a pen! Use any of these prompts to get you started on jotting a note, an email, or a text to a loved one in your life. For some, the statement stands alone. For others, elaborate on the thought that is given. Your words are sure to bless your recipient!

Five Powerful Phrases to Speak to Your Spouse

I trust your judgment.
I’m glad I married you.
Here is what I appreciate most about you...
I am with you.
Being your wife has taught me...

Five Powerful Phrases to Speak to Your Child

You can do it.
A happy memory I have of when you were younger is...
I am confident you can make good choices.
Being your mom has taught me...
God has an amazing life planned for you.

Five Powerful Phrases to Speak to Your Parent

I’m not sure if I’ve ever told you before, but thank you for...
A wonderful memory I have of my childhood is...
I admire your strength.
How can I help you?
I am proud of you for...

Five Powerful Phrases to Speak to Your Friend

My favorite thing about our friendship is...
The best time I ever had with you was when...
I am with you all the way.
The character quality I most admire in you is...
You remind me of Jesus when you...

Often the hardest part of trying something new is the beginning.  These prompts make it easier to get started in a life giving habit of speaking life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.