Skip to main content

Consistency Connects, Faithfulness Fulfills

Image result for proverbs 20:6

Have you ever thought how many things we do out of habit?  We begin our day with probably the same routine each day and never think about the steps.  The beginnings of the day are done in a certain order and done day after day become consistent.  All through the day and our routines of life, we do things so automatically that we quickly become consistent - without even trying!

As one who loves to run, time is made in my schedule for running several times a week.  Currently, I run a route at the same time in the morning. Several cars daily pass me as they are probably going the same place at the same time each day. I know nothing about the drivers, but can label them as 'the girl in the white honda' or the 'grey ford truck guy' and almost pinpoint the time they pass me. After several weeks, these drivers give me a hearty and friendly wave. I am now a familiar sight for them. Even though we don't know each other, our consistency connects us. 

The trait of consistency may get a bad rap for flirting with the boundaries of boredom.  We surely need times of spontaneity in our lives, but consistency can also be a good thing.  It is the building block of faithfulness, which leads to dependability. It has been said that, “the greatest ability is dependability.” There is great truth to that statement. The Bible stresses in several places the importance of Faithfulness. It is a characteristic of God, especially toward His people, and it should be a characteristic of His people.  It is about being dependable, reliable, consistent, trustworthy. 

The Bible says, Proverbs 20:6 "Most men will proclaim each his own goodness,
But who can find a faithful man?" It’s difficult and it’s rare to find a genuinely faithful person. People value faithfulness whether they talk about it or not.

My morning run consistency began with a decision followed by action that was done again and again. Leadership teaches that true change will not come about until something new or different is done every day. 

Here are a few characteristics that may get our faithfulness started:

Having the Right Values:  
  • A faithful person knows what’s important in life and what isn’t important in life.
  • A faithful person knows how to invest his or her life and how not to.
  • A faithful person makes their life count.
  • A faithful person knows the significant from the trivial.
A Faithful Person Cares for Others Interest, Not Just Their Own

Contemporary culture says “What’s in it for me? What’s my needs, my ambitions, my desires, my goals, my hurts, my values, my profit, my benefit?” It’s very selfish, self-centered. It's always asking 'what’s in it for me?'
The Bible teaches that faithfulness is a choice. I can choose to change my attitude so that the focus gets off myself and what’s best for me and instead say.  “What’s best for others?

If there is one quality that will help you continue serving and living for the Lord, it is the quality of faithfulness. If we will finish the race that the Lord set before us, then we need to make the decision to be faithful to Christ and His cause.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.