Skip to main content

Embrace the Pause

Molly Fletcher on Twitter: "One of my favorite negotiating ...


On a recent Saturday morning, while cleaning out the pantry there was a small amount of pancake mix left in a bag. It was the perfect amount for a small batch of blueberry pancakes. After they were made, I ate 2 and left 1 to finish cooking. After finishing the portion for breakfast, I spied the lone pancake in the pan and immediately decided I needed that one as well. But, through a pause and an evaluation it was discovered that I was full and the extra pancake could be used for a quick weekday breakfast. A quick phrase - "Embrace the Pause" came to my heart.

Running full speed is second nature to me....I kind of consider it my super power! Having my hand in several different projects, moving and speaking quickly, arriving everywhere right on time, with not a moment to spare and walking through the door like a hurricane is just my thing. The pressure to answer a text or email instantly keeps me glued to my devices. I can fill my day end to end and find satisfaction is gettting many things done! 

 This is how I"ve functioned for many years, but the season of life I am now in doesn't require all that rush. With my time more free I've learned there is much value in calmness and preparedness.

God's Word has a familiar verse that says..."No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it." This verse is often misinterpreted as "God won't give you more than you can handle".  But the biblical context is temptation and we are all tempted. Temptations is not a sin, it is a thought that begins in the mind. What we do with that thought determines where it will lead. God in His Word tells us that when temptation comes, He will provide a way of escape, or a path to a better choice.  But...we must be ready to hear and explore that direction.

A pause at a crucial time can save us from many unwise choices. When I fill my life up, hopping from one activity to another, I lose the value of the pause. Many things may get done, but how much more meaningful they could be if a pause was added. Instead of being focused on promptly answering a text or email, what if a pause was inserted to consider the context and evaluate the best answer. 

Physically there is great benefit to a pause. Asking "am I really hungry or aimlessly eating?" forces a true evaluation and probably better food choices. Do I 'feel' like exercising - instead of the quick answer NO - pause to reflect what if I did it for just 5 minutes? 

Spiritual pauses are truly good for the soul. Reading Scripture is great, but taking a pause or slowing down to let the words come from the page and enter the heart are what will bring change, peace and hope. 

Embrace the Pause - listen instead of leaping. Making every moment count can keep us from distraction and often a little bit of trouble! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.