Skip to main content

Love, Loss and Life

With October being National Pregnancy Loss Awareness Month, I posted about our first miscarriage.  Physically the recovery went very well and we began to heal emotionally as well.  Since it was such a shocking experience following 2 healthy babies, we still felt a little stunned.  

This simple miscarriage quote says it all

A few years later, we again rejoiced at a positive pregnancy test.  Instead of instant joy, the looming reminder of the first loss came quickly back.  Before we were able to see a doctor, I began spotting again.  Filled with fear and dread, we went to the emergency room. The nurse assigned to me was a friend and told me about a wonderful doctor which could see me later at the hospital. Back then, they didn't do ultrasounds to gauge if the pregnancy was healthy, but did blood tests and exams and then it was some agonizing waiting. 

Dr. G. came in later in the evening. He was a large, gentle man, filled with compassion and kindness.  He said everything looked good, but we had to wait on blood tests to know for sure. I was sent home to 'wait and see' what would happen.  The next day, severe cramping began and as instructed, we called the doctor back.  He knew my first miscarriage had occurred naturally, but due to the pain I was in, encouraged me to come in for a d&c procedure. The blood tests revealed I was miscarrying, so we did the procedure and came back home.

Physical recovery was quick, but emotionally it took a while.  Daily life continued on, but my heart was stuck in sadness. Loss was deeply felt and I mourned for the sweet babies I had lost. 

Miscarriage Quote I carried you every second of your life and I will love you for every second of mine.

Time continued on and I purposed to focus on the blessings God had given me, my dear family, friends, church and life. Everything seemed back to normal, but there is always a place in my heart where loss is felt.  The babies that were formed and carried only for a short time will stay forever with me, but there is a time to move forward and love and pour into those around me.  Grief has it's place in our lives, but it is not a place to live.  Sunshine will come again through the clouds.  Time eases pain and allows us to refocus and begin a different normal in life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We...

Paths of Prayer

Today, I'm joining up with Five Minute Friday, a fun writing opportunity to connect and share a quick thought on this week's theme "Path". For many years, when coming across a Scripture about 'paths', it turned into a prayer and desire to be led down God's open paths. Through the years of life which included, marriage, keeping a home, job, raising children and as they began to explore their own paths, seeking God and His paths became a vital part of life and prayer.  As God's Word reveals God's goodness and His ways, I want to be walking - living a lifestyle on the paths that He leads.  Some of my favorite 'path' verses include: Proverbs 4:18 "But the path of the just is like the shining sun, That shines ever brighter unto the perfect day."   Psalm 25:4,  "Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths,"  Proverbs 3:5-6: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding; in all your way...

Word-Filled Wednesday

I love participating in Word Filled Wednesday . This is hosted over at 160 acrewoods and is designed to share God's Word with verse and picture. Go over and take a peek - you will be blessed! The verse I chose for today is one of my favorite verses. A while back during an intense trial of watching a loved one struggle with addiction - ready to lose everything over the addiction, I read this verse and it spoke to my heart clearly. Without God - there is no hope, the things of this world will leave you empty and void. Chasing after the things of the world is like chasing the wind, you just can't grasp it. But in God there is hope. Even though the trial may be tough and challenging, God is hope and He will fill you with peace and joy as you believe in Him and you will abound in hope. May your day be blessed and filled with HOPE!