Skip to main content

Know, Believe and Do


You may could call me a 'fitness loner'. I'm a little different than most in my fitness journey in that I prefer to exercise alone. For years I have walked several times a week, later on, took up running, added at home workouts for strength and am blessed with discipline and endurance that is needed to keep up with a healthy lifestyle. Exercise for me is that 'me time' we all crave and try to squeeze in. Therefore it is not a drudgery, but something I love to do!

The last few years, I have added an exercise class to my fitness routine. There is a sense of accountability and community  working out with others. For the last several months, my routine had a beautiful fitness balance between home and the gym.

Until, the COVID 19 crisis. Gyms were closed first. Still needing that accountability, I found a small group class. Then, restrictions came and shut that down. Although I have never hired a personal trainer, I decided to give it a try. 

My trainer is a dear Christian friend who is walking in her true calling of encouraging women to be their best inside and out! She walked me through the work out, carefully observing my form and body's response to the exercises. Towards the end of the workout, she observed that my core was weak and how it affected other parts of my body, thus having a negative effect on my fitness efforts. 

Since I am an avid exerciser, I know all about the core. They call it the 'powerhouse' and it helps hold up your body structure. Power and strength, comes from your core. Over and over the words, watch your core, tighten your core, watch your form have been heard. But, it wasn't until my weak core was  pointed out, did I realize all this time I was hearing the words, but not following the directions. 

Empowered with a new purpose, I frequently pay attention to my core, pulling it in, holding it tightly, doing exercises to strengthen it. Not being discouraged, but a quick look back over all the years I've been exercising, but not at full potential, gives me new purpose to make the most of it going forward. 

No matter what area in life, our personal convictions move us through three layers - Know, Believe, Do. First, things must come into our head - knowledge or awareness, then into our heart and finally it is acted out in our lives. For the Christian, the beauty of walking with God is His taking us through this know, believe and do journey. When we move from knowing to believing, we are choosing to trust God and to take Him at His word. As we move from believing to doing, our convictions become action. We walk more boldly in the path that God is revealing to us. 

Change always starts small. When we pursue one or two new habits or perspectives, we will see transformational change over time. Now is a great time when many of us are 'staying safe at home' to ask God to illuminate our lives. What are some changes or areas He brings light to that may need some improvement. Now, while the distractions of life are at bay, is a perfect time to open our hearts and trust God to bring the best out in us. 

God has great plans for each of us. May we trust His leading and provision and move forward with confidence. 

GODLINESS | Moreno Hills SDA Church Blog

Core/intentional
Know, Believe, Do

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.