Skip to main content

Full Circle June


 Hello June and Welcome Summer! As the summer season begins, our lives begin to embrace fun, relaxed activities such as swimming, cook outs and lots of outside time.

June also holds some dates that are very emotional for our family - ones that represent the passing of one life and embracing of a new life. This June will find sweet hubby and I celebrating 32 years of marriage!  What a divine gift of God that came in His perfect timing. In the same year, 8 days before the wedding, my father was tragically killed. Our family gathered for a funeral and a wedding in the same week. Life can be like that, holding pain and joy in the same hand, but always being balanced with the gift of God's grace.

As a Christian, I believe pain and grief comes from the result of living in an evil world. God does not cause the events that bring pain, but through the process of grief, we can find hope, wholeness and healing. And our stories from the other side of grief can be used to walk with others traveling down their own journey of pain. There can be a purpose that comes from our pain.

God can combine our tools with our trials to bring us into a ministry. Recently, I realized my pain can be turned into purpose that can bring to life one of my favorite verses...

II Corinthians1:3-4  Praise  the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies  and the God of all comfort.  He comforts us in all our affliction,  so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any kind of affliction, through the comfort we ourselves receive from God. 




Let me take you with me for a beautiful memory. When I was a teenage girl, my family and I were on vacation at the beach - one of our favorite places. My father and I were standing in the ocean talking and letting the waves roll over us. It was a perfect beach day - sunshine, beautiful weather, a day truly  etched as a cherished memory. Dad recognized the beauty of the moment and shared some sobering words to me that day. He brought up the reality that one day, he would pass away and would no longer be with us. He knew from his experience in the death of his father how hard the journey of loss was. . He talked about how the memories during grief may bring incredible sadness when reflected on. How simply thinking back on a special time together would bring tears. But as time passes, he advised, those same memories would not be as painful,  but I would be able to look back on these moments and feel joy and gratitude for those moments. 

A few years after that special talk, dad's death occurred and  the wedding continued on as planned. My new husband and I were on our way to the honeymoon. The route we traveled took us right through the beach town my family vacationed at. With a heart full of grief and loss, I bent over in the seat as we rode through, unable to even look out the window as we drove through the beach town. 

After a few years, my husband and I again returned to the beach for a vacation. As life moved on, we had children and created new memories with our family at the same beach. Dad's words became true, in time I could reflect back on the memories and the beach town with thankfulness and joy. 

As the years rolled by, my story got lost in the busyness of raising a family. Once the children grew up and began lives of their own, the Lord opened doors to share my story of trauma and the hope that God can bring to our hardest situations. I became involved with a ministry Nothing Is Wasted which exists to help you navigate your trials, tragedies, and transitions and find purpose in your pain. 

This spring, in partnership with Nothing Is Wasted, I became a certified coach to lead a small group through a Pain to Purpose Course. An amazing thing happened that truly brought purpose from my pain. 

Sweet hubby and I had planned to spend a few days to visit the beach, and the dates corresponded with the last session of the Pain to Purpose class I was leading. That morning, walking along the beach, gazing at the waves where the beautiful memory of my father and I occurred, I was rehearsing in my mind the final lesson of the session later that day.  The realization of how powerful that moment was suddenly hit me. The pain that had put me in the floorboard of the car to avoid seeing this beach town was turned into a path of healing where new memories and family traditions were made. The purpose of walking with others through their journey of grief had come full circle. On the balcony with the sound of ocean waves in the background, a zoom meeting completed the Pain to Purpose class where the comfort I received from God, was used to share comfort with others. 

Pain is a commo denominator that binds our hearts together. We can walk through the painful valleys of life, knowing God will not waste these times, but in His time, bring something beautiful from it. 

Comments

  1. The idea of a Pain to Purpose Course is so good and necessary to move out of victimhood and pain. Thanks for sharing that there is a course for this - and I am so glad you were able to vintage the blessing of that moment with your dad and redeem the blessing out of it! ~ Maryleigh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your commment. It is a joy and blessing to hear from you and your words are appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.