Skip to main content

The Wisdom of Accountability

 Over at Five Minute Friday - which is a fun writing exercise, the weekly word to write about is ACCOUNTABILITY. 


This is one of those words depending on your personality that you may view as either safe or intrusive. Accountability is an action that requires us to share, trust deeply and step into some action of transparency. It may mean exposing our weaknesses, confessing our faults and asking for help to become better. The end result, if we align ourselves wisely, brings us to a better place.

I have always loved fitness and exercise. Evening walks were a source of relaxation when I was younger. Once pregnancy and babies arrived, exercise helped me lose the baby weight. But, I was always a 'fitness loner', staying home and exercising with videos or a routine. I thought my routine was great for so many years, but the routines were not challenging, done with the same intensity, simply being something to check off my daily schedule. They helped maintain a level of health, but never increased in results.

A short time ago, I went to my first physical training session with a personal friend who is a trainer. She monitored while the exercises were performed and sweetly mentioned that my core seemed to be weak. With practical suggestions to pay attention to my core through the day, my exercises are now much more intentional and beneficial. Through our workouts, my trainer usually mentions the reminder - watch your core - and immediately we engage our core for maximum benefit. 

There is a sermon series by Andy Stanley that I absolutely love which explains the value of  Guardrails. Guardrails are “a system designed to keep something from straying into dangerous or off-limit areas.” Thousands of miles of guardrails line our roads and interstates.  Guardrails are designed with simplistic purpose. If we come in contact with them, they create a small accident to protect you from a larger incident.  We rarely pay attention to or think about guardrails until we need them. When we need or use them, they can save our lives.

To  help  us  avoid  major  regrets  in  the  future,  we  need  to  set  up  protective  guardrails  in  every  significant  area  of  our  lives.  These  guardrails  are  personal  standards  of  behavior  that  become  a  matter  of conscience.  They’ll  protect  us  from  the  “danger  zones”  of  behavior that  can  so  easily  lead  to  disastrous  consequences.

Most likely our biggest mistakes in life could have been avoided if we had guardrails steering us in the right direction. Applied to our lives, spirituality and relationships, guardrails can help guide and protect us.  Accountability, like guardrails can be a protection from destructive or devastating choices. 

Visit Guardrails for a 5 part series of sermons on this subject. 

May we be open to be accountable to others. Pray for God's wisdom and direction for someone whose life reflects the goodness of God and manifests characteristics we would like to see in our own lives. Accountability can open the door for us to be the best version of ourselves.



Comments

  1. Great post! I like the guardrails illustration and also the reminder that we need accountability to become the best version of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guardrails...what an excellent visual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your thoughts - I love this idea of guardrails! Since my cancer six years ago, I have some guardrails in place for my health. None of these are guarantees, but with these in place, my journey has been easier, more peaceful, and well, healthier! Thank you! Karen (FMF #9)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your commment. It is a joy and blessing to hear from you and your words are appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes We Score, Sometimes We Block

Our family is in the midst of little league soccer season. My youngest son is playing and his enthusiasm is contagious. He is pretty good at the sport, but what makes it so great is that he loves it! He counts the days until the next game or practice. He loves his coach and teammates. He has moved up an age level this year and the players are working more like team, passing to each other and watching out for each other during play. During the last game, my son scored two goals, they were the only goals of the game. In today's game the team scored eight goals. My son came up afterwards to me and said, "I didn't score today, but I blocked". What a powerful truth those words can hold. In life, sometimes we score, sometimes we block. Sometimes we do great things, we excel, we achieve, we meet our goal - we score! There are also times we see the needs of others, sometimes they are sad or hurting, we block their hits. We look out for them so they can score. We

Relationships and Redemption

In every friendship or relationship, there is a common hope that they will grow and flourish. There is something inside of us that longs for a 'happy every after' story. We dream about it and work to make that happen. But in reality, relationships are a challenge. The bridging of values, lifestyles, interests and sacrificing for another are simply hard things to do! No matter how much we dream of the perfect fit, some relationships will not endure the stress.  When differences appear and tensions arise, prayer can change situations, attitudes and ourselves. For the Christian, we know God can transform, change, heal. We cannot change others, but prayer opens us the door for God to step in and answer. God desires transformation, but does not demand it. The gift of free will allows us to choose to say Yes or No to Him.  Romans 12:18 says, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Take notice of the first two words: “If possible …” This implies that some

A Blank Page - A Great Way to Fill It

A blank page - that is the first view of a new blog post. It has been a while since I have faced the blank page of my little blog! A blank page can bring a variety of emotions - emptiness, anxiety, pressure to perform or emotions such as inspiration, encouragement or simply bursting to share something. But there is always something fresh and exciting about the blank page of a New Year. Happy 2023! This is always a time in my life where inspiration and plans are formed and ready to be implemented for greater change. Aspirations may start strong, but alone do not make a difference. It takes consistency to create change. The changing or adding small habits is a key to great changes. A habit that has been beneficial in my life for many years is rising early. It began when the children were small and was the only pocket of time I had to myself. Through the years, mornings have become my favorite time of the day. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, we go to bed early and rise early.